Located in the historic downtown district of Anniston, the new 64,000 SF courthouse houses the U.S. Bankruptcy Court and Clerk, U.S. District Courts and Clerk, U.S. Attorneys, U.S. Probation, U.S. Marshals Service, and GSA.
The architectural concept for the courthouse grows directly out of the relationship between this new courthouse and the adjacent, early 1900 federal courthouse on Noble Street. The goal was to create a new and distinct courthouse with a direct relationship to its distinguished neighbor and the historic context of old town Anniston. The new courthouse is composed of two pavilions each containing a courtroom and its support spaces on the third floor. Each of these pavilions is highly ornamented and incorporates details found in the historic federal courthouse.
To meet the stringent energy requirements, the design synthesizes the contextual design requirements with daylighting and user needs into an architectural solution with a uniform approach to fenestration and wall composition creating consistent envelope loads and allows for even and controllable daylight. This project is LEED Gold SITES Silver certified.
- 64,000 SF new construction
- LEED Gold