Originally constructed in 1896, Building 246 is home to the Regimental Orientation Program for the 3rd US Infantry Regiment (The Old Guard), the Army’s oldest active-duty infantry unit. The historic building houses incoming soldiers and provides the necessary spaces for the rigorous training essential to The Old Guard’s mission: providing funeral escorts at Arlington National Cemetery and conducting military ceremonies at the White House.
Last updated more than 25 years ago, Building 246 experienced significant deterioration from continuous heavy use. Leaky windows, inadequate insulation, building drafts, and mold impaired indoor quality and comfort. Page's modernization addressed these challenges, increasing safety and security for the soldiers and improving the indoor environment for training.
New interior casement blast windows, inserted progressive collapse steel beams, and fire suppression systems on unprotected exterior porches provide a safe living environment to protect the soldiers. New dedicated outdoor air systems address the diverse needs of spaces, from high humidity in the uniform steam press room to overheating in the attic training rooms. The improved mechanical efficiencies, LED lighting, interior blast windows that outperform code, and new wall and roof insulation contribute to a building that meets ASHRAE 189.1, the energy efficient green building code.
- 82,358 GSF modernization
- LEED Gold certified
Page protected the historic brick façade by tucking R-22 continuous insulation behind the facade, resulting in an exterior wall that performs better than energy code requirements, and added an interior window behind the existing historic window, enabling the overall glazing assembly to perform 40% better.